Possible reasons one entrepreneur may have to know another:
- Need that contact
- Could help my cause
- May lead to another of like mind
- Has a good team in place
- Has good VC contacts
- We share similar business communities
- Has a good mentor which I need
- Could provide help to that team
- Can offer outsource support
- Perhaps they will take me in as co-founder
- M&A will make us stronger
- Possibility to share an office
- May get invites to parties
It matters more how one uses that contact to effect, than just having the contact for show.
You can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.